My name is Denise.
I am a basic bitch, who loves to cook shit.
I figured… why not pour my heart and soul into a blog, that many people probably won’t ever read?!?!
Sounded like a great idea to me.
I mostly cook paleo, american comfort, and Korean foods.
It’s not often when I get a chance to fuse the three categories into one meal… but when I do… it’s beautiful and rare, like a unicorn. (For instance, my famous bulgogi breakfast burrito)
BUT I mustn’t give away all of my secrets from the get-go, or else you’ll have no reason to come back to my blog.
So today… I introduce something sweet and savory– and packed full of greens!
I call it:
Apple Chicken Sausage and Candied Bacon Egg Bake
GLUTEN FREE & DAIRY FREE
Prep time: 10-20 mins
Bake time: 30 mins
- 1lb ground chicken
- 5 strips bacon
- coconut sugar
- 2 cups apple sauce
- 4-6 cups of kale/spinach
- 6 eggs
- 1 cup Almond milk
- Seasonings (salt and pepper, garlic and onion powder, Italian)
I want to start out by saying that I REALLY wanted to cube up some sweet potatoes and add it to the recipe… but I didn’t have any… and was being too lazy to go to the store. Ill try it next time and let you know how it tastes.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease a medium glass pan with ghee.
- Cook the ground chicken in a large skillet, adding salt, pepper, garlic, onion, and Italian seasoning.
- Add the applesauce when chicken is cooked and continue sauteing for a couple more minutes
- Transfer the chicken and applesauce mixture in a separate bowl
- In the same skillet, cook the bacon. Add the coconut sugar to both sides of the bacon throughout the process, making sure to generously coat both sides.
- Cool and transfer the bacon onto a plate. DO NOT use a paper towel or napkin to collect the grease: the candied bacon will STICK to it. ( Yes… I learned this the hard way!) Leave the left-over sugar and bacon grease in the pan.
- Cut the bacon into bits and add to the chicken & applesauce mixture.
- Chop the spinach/kale into small shreds, and saute on very LOW heat in the left-over sugar/bacon grease. Cook until the greens are soft and slightly wilted.
- Add the greens to the chicken and bacon mixture, and gently mix evenly together. Pour mixture into the greased glass pan.
- In a separate bowl, whip together eggs, and almond milk. Pour egg mixture into the glass pan. (All ingredients in glass pan should now be covered by the egg mixture. If not, whip up a couple more eggs with almond milk and add, until everything is submerged)
- Bake in the preheated oven for 30 mins at 350.
- Once baked, check the center for firmness– if the middle is too jiggly or runny, add 5-15 more minutes to the cook time.
- Cool, cut into 6 even pieces, and enjoy! I added a couple sprinkles of nutmeg and cinnamon to the top, and then topped it with some fresh parsley.
NOW… just try to imagine what it’d taste like with some cubed sweet potatoes roasted in coconut oil! OMG I might have a heart attack just thinking about it.
P.S. Can be made paleo if you don’t add coconut sugar to candy the bacon! It just won’t taste as sweet.